Our 24-Hour Guide To Durban
With the school holiday season fast approaching, we thought we’d share our top things to do in Durban, within 24 hours. Even if you only have a day in Durban, you can do so much! We suggest:
- Starting your day with breakfast at Surf Riders Cafe. Situated along South Beach, Surf Riders has become a must-do for locals and visitors alike. They open early, at 06h30 on weekdays, and at 06h00 on weekends, so your early morning start is guaranteed to be great. We recommend the Avocado Benedict!
- Swing up the promenade to Mini Town, located just behind Circus Circus Cafe at North Beach. Mini Town is a Durban institution, and an iconic must-do for your itinerary. Miniature scale models of Durban’s sights, buildings, and facilities will enchant and excite the little ones!
- If stadiums are more your style, pop across to the iconic Moses Mabhida Stadium for a walk through this Durban highlight. Thereafter, zoom across to Durban North, for a visit to the Durban Society of Model Engineers (DSME). With a mini train track and interesting exhibits on display, the DSME is a must for budding train drivers!
- Then head off for a history lesson in Inanda Township. Located in Inanda, Sarvodaya (meaning “Well Being For All”) is a museum that centres around the reconstruction of Mahatma Gandhi’s home, in Phoenix. Honouring and commemorating the years Gandhi spent in South Africa, this residence is now a museum.
- Now that you’re near Umhlanga again, and enjoy a lazy lunch at Doppio Zero, before working it off with a brisk walk along the promenade. The Umhlanga Promenade is a jewel along our city’s coastline, offering you beautiful views and a chance to meet some of Durban’s friendly locals. And, of course, their pets. You’ll find dog walkers aplenty along the Promenade, and get to meet many of their furry accomplices!
- Cool off with a quick dip in the sea, and head back up to Umhlanga Village for a sundowner before dinner time. We recommend the Elements Cafe Bar at the Beverly Hills Hotel, or the Ocean Terrace at the Oyster Box Hotel.
- Now that the sun’s set and you’re ready to razzle, head up to Little Havana for an unforgettable fine dining experience. And, once you’ve had your palate pleased beyond measure, pop across the road for a nightcap at Salsa, or 14 on Chartwell.
- Once your night is nearing its end, hail an Uber and head back to Anchor’s Rest, to snooze in comfort and with a smile on your face. We’ll see you in the morning for our legendary breakfast!